Village of North Hudson
Regular Board of Trustees Meeting Minutes
Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 7:00 P.M.
Village Hall, 400 7th Street North
Hudson, WI 54016
1. President Stan Wekkin called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Invocation read by Wekkin. Answering the call were Trustees Head, Leaf, Nelson, Pike, Zais, and Zappa. A quorum was present and the meeting had been duly noticed. Also in attendance were the Police Chief, Mark Richert; Village Engineer, Kevin Oium; Public Works Director, Patrick Moos; Village Attorney, Gary Bakke on behalf of Terry Dunst; and Village Administrator/Clerk, Melissa Luedke.
2. Motion (Zappa/Leaf) to approve the Regular Board minutes of August 1, 2017. Motion carried.
3. No comments from the floor.
4. Motion (Zappa/Nelson) that the Class "B"/"Class B" Retail License for the sale of Fermented Malt Beverages and Intoxicating Liquors for Village Inn be temporarily amended for an event taking place Saturday, September 9, 2017 from 12:00 pm to Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 2:30 am, with the following conditions: 1) Area outside of the building to be completely enclosed with secure fencing to be accessed only from near the main entrance area of the building. Use of alcohol shall remain within the building or fenced-in area. 2) Use of outside area only with specific permission of the Village Board for each particular date and event. 3) Owner to provide equal amount of adjacent substitute off-street parking while parking lot area is fenced during time of event. Maintain the no parking alley between the Village Inn and Zappa Bros. for emergency vehicle and Village Public Works traffic during the event. 4) Owner to be responsible for band/music volume and outside music to end no later than 10:00 pm. Motion carried.
5. a) Motion (Zappa/Head) to approve the 2017-2018 River Valley Deer Management contract. Motion carried.
b) Motion (Zappa/Leaf) to approve the applications of Lon Feia, Bradley Coulter, Ricky Krause, Harvey Baird, and C.R. Hackworthy for participation in the Village of North Hudson Deer Management Program during the 2017-2018 hunting season. Motion carried.
6. Remarks from Wekkin and Luedke.
7. a) Plan Commission update by Oium.
b) Motion (Zappa/Leaf) to approve the Conditional Use Permit application for Storage Associates at 247 Monroe Street N., PIN 161-2022-50-000, with the following conditions: 1) All applicable local and state permits shall be obtained prior to commencing construction. 2) Driveways shall be at least 20' in width and paved. 3) Provide a grading, drainage, and erosion control plan to the Village Engineer for review and approval. 4) Property is to be kept clean with no outside storage. 5) Total area of buildings and driveways shall not collectively cover more than 75 percent of the lot. Please provide these computations to the Village Engineer for review and approval. 6) Ingress and egress via Wisconsin Street North. 7) Screening hedge of evergreens to be planted and maintained along Galahad Road N not more than 6' on center. 8) Site lighting to be wall mounted downcast lights. Lights to be mounted on the walls between the doors. To be of the same style and type as the existing buildings. 9) Exterior appearance of the building shall be of an earth-tone color. 10) Identification numbers for each unit to be no more than 6' in height. 11) Must meet setback requirements. Building may be situated on property not closer than 50' to Wisconsin Street or 40' to Galahad unless a variance is granted. 12) Maintain 20 foot width for access and sufficient turning radius for Fire Department. Motion carried.
8. a) Motion (Zappa/Nelson) to approve the September 2017 non-recurring claims of $78,589.13. Motion passed on a roll call vote of 7-0. Nelson-yes, Head-yes, Pike-yes, Wekkin-yes, Zappa-yes, Zais-yes, Leaf-yes.
b) Motion (Leaf/Nelson) to amend the Village of North Hudson's 2017 Annual Budget by transferring $13,500 from the Unassigned Fund to cover the purchase of capital equipment for the Police Department, and to record $360,000 for the loan related to the purchase of the Public Works garage. Motion passed on a roll call vote of 6-0. Leaf-yes, Zais-yes, Wekkin-yes, Pike-yes, Head-yes, Nelson-yes. Zappa abstained.
9. a) Public Works Committee update by Pike.
b) Motion (Pike/Zais) to approve the 2017-2018 Street Sweeping contract with Mike McPhillips, Inc. at a rate of $92.00/hour. Motion passed on a roll call vote of 7-0. Nelson-yes, Head-yes, Pike-yes, Wekkin-yes, Zappa-yes, Zais-yes, Leaf-yes.
c) Motion (Pike/Leaf) to approve the five year capital improvements plan for 2018-2022. Wekkin stated that approval of the five year plan does not necessarily approve the projects. Projects will be approved separately as the budget permits. Motion carried.
d) Pike stated that this item is for discussion only. In 2015, LRIP funding was denied by St. Croix County for St. Croix Street N. Pike asked Oium to get a representative on the committee that makes the decisions on who gets the funding, so the Village can present the project for consideration.
10) Public Safety Committee update by Zappa.
11) Public Welfare did not meet.
12) Park Board did not meet.
13) Motion (Zappa/Leaf) to convene into closed session pursuant to §19.85(1)(e) to deliberate or negotiate the purchase of public properties, the investing of public funds, or conducting other specified public business, whenever competitive or bargaining reasons require a closed session, with respect to water and sewer ad hoc committee updates and possibly combining all water and sewer system components with the City of Hudson. Motion passed on a roll call vote of 7-0. Leaf-yes, Zais-yes, Zappa-yes, Wekkin-yes, Pike-yes, Head-yes, Nelson-yes. The board convened into closed session at 7:25 p.m.
14) Motion (Zappa/Zais) to reconvene into open session. Motion carried. The board reconvened into open session at 7:49 p.m. No further discussion or action taken.
15) Wekkin declared the meeting adjourned at 7:49 p.m.
Melissa Luedke, Village Administrator/Clerk
Resolutions, ordinances, and full minutes are available for review at the Village Hall, 400 -7th Street N. Please visit the Village website -www.northhudsonvillage.org.
_____________________________________ (Pub. 10/12/17) WNAXLP